Saturday, January 3, 2009

Choo Choo, All Aboard the Smile Train!

Besides playing in the snow and getting dirty there was some other good things that came of the Seattle Snow Storm of 2008. You see the Smile Train came to town. If you don't know what the Smile Train is (I didn't until Erin's mommy explained it) it is a very nice organization of doctors and nurses that go to developing countries and perform much needed surgeries on children with cleft lip and palate. And they came to Seattle! Apparently the crazy snow made us a developing country. Who knew?

Well, anyway, if you haven't noticed from seeing the pictures on the blog, Chris has a little cleft. Yes, the poor sheep is a little sensitive about it and was ruthlessly teased about it when we were in the lab. So you can imagine how Sheepy felt when we learned that the Smile Train was pulling into Seattle.

Before (Erin says Chris is a cutie no matter what.)

Well as you can imagine the Smile Train is always looking for help. And since I like Chris so much I decided to volunteer my services during the surgery. I said I could run the anaesthesia because I am always being told I make people nauseous.

Now you might feel a small pinch.

Chris was out like a light really quick. No sheep counting was needed in this operation. But that was just the beginning. I also helped with the surgery itself. I was so excited I was shaking all over and I think piddled a little. But shhh....don't tell Chris.

Ooo...that's going to leave a scar.

It didn't take very long and it was all done. That doctor really knew her sheep surgery. And I think Chris is really happy. I alwasy see a big grin from ear to ear now.

After (Erin says Chris is still a little cutie. She should really stop lying.)

I offered to go on the road with the train but they said it was ok I should stay with Erin and the other sheep. They said I was perfect to make sure Chris made a full recovery. O well, maybe next time. I hear donations are always welcomed and it is really cheap to change a child's life. Thanks you Smile Train!

3 comments:

Aerin said...

Ohh, I want to work for them. Good job DJ, but next time maybe a smaller needle you think?

Erin said...

I'm pretty sure Chris was knocked out before getting the shot. Poor sheep took one look at D.J. with that needle and passed out.

Justin said...

Yeah from the looks of that needle I would have thought you were trying to put Chris on a spit and have a luau.